San Francisco VA Health Care System
Top Row: Dr. Abigail Wilson (Physician, Women’s Health Medical Co-Director); Winnie Deguzman (Lead MSA), Dr. Kaela Joseph (Psychologist, Women Veterans Program Manager), Leonides Penaflor (RN, Charge Nurse), Elizabeth Enriquez (RN) Bottom Row: Dr. Caitlin Hasser (Psychiatrist, Women’s Mental Health Director), JulieTupulua (LVN), Dr. Karla Kerlikowske (Physician, Women’s Health Medical Co-Director), Valerie Johnson (MSA), Liliane Renous (MSA), Elana Diaz (RN, Mammography & Maternity Care Coordinator)
In the San Francisco VA Health Care System, we offer a variety of health services to address the unique needs of women Veterans. To make an appointment, please contact:
Women's Health Care Center
We are located at the San Francisco VA Medical Center in Bldg. 203, 1st Floor, Room 1B.
Women who have served in the Armed Forces are eligible for a variety of Veterans benefits. VA actively encourages women to utilize the benefits due them.
San Francisco VAMC services for women include:
- Comprehensive primary care including breast and cervical cancer screening
- Preventive health screening
- Contraceptive counseling and management
- Menopause management
- Specialty gynecology services
- Osteoporosis Evaluation and care
- Sexually Transmitted Infections evaluation and treatment
- Reproductive health care, including gynecological care and appropriate referrals for obstetrical care, infertility evaluation and genetic testing
- Comprehensive OEF/OIF/OND clinic
- Urinary incontinence evaluation and treatment
- Women's Cardiac Clinic
- Obesity counseling, weight loss - referral to MOVE!
Mental Health and Sexual Trauma Counseling
We are committed to assisting women Veterans with their psychological needs. Services include:
- Mental health counseling
- Sexual trauma counseling
- Substance abuse treatment
- Psychological support groups: Coping with Depression, Stress Management, Trauma Recovery, Substance Abuse Treatment for Women
- Learn more about Military Sexual Trauma and how to contact your MST Coordinator.
Women's Health at Community Based Outpatient Clinics (CBOCs)
Each of our CBOCs have desgnated Women's Health providers offering comprehensive primary care, including gender-specific care and Women's Health RN liaisons to assist women Veterans with their needs.
Learn More About VA Health Care Benefits for Women
A video entitled, "The Best Care Anywhere" addresses the challenges presented by the growing number of women Veterans in the VA system, and actions being taken to ensure they receive quality women's health care. Click here to view the video.
Women Veterans Program Manager
Kaela Joseph, PhD (415) 221-4810. ext. 2-3956
For Women Veterans, VA is Here
Women Veteran Program Managers are available at each VA Medical Center nationwide to assist women Veterans and coordinate services. Women Veterans who are interested in receiving care at VA should contact the nearest VA Medical Center.
Women Veterans are assigned to a designated Women’s Health Primary Care Provider who can provide general primary care and is specially trained or experienced in women’s care.
Whole Health - It's All About You
VA’s Whole Health System offers women Veterans proactive and personalized health care—empowering you to achieve your greatest level of health and well-being. Whole Health means the Whole You. From integrative health approaches like stress reduction, nutrition, and health coaching, to traditional clinical care and complementary health approaches—your journey to Whole Health starts here.
Proactive, integrative health approaches such as:
- Health coaching
- Mind-body therapies and stress reduction
- Nutrition and weight management
- Peer support and community resources
- Programs to stop smoking
- Physical therapy and chiropractic services
You will be at the center of a Patient Aligned Care Team (PACT). A provider, nurse, and others will engage with you to manage your health care.
- Primary care: includes general medical care for acute and chronic conditions, such as chronic pain, high blood pressure, and diabetes
- Preventive care: includes immunizations and cancer screenings, such as mammogram, Pap, and colonoscopy
- Gender-specific care
- Birth control
- Family planning and preconception counseling
- Maternity and newborn care (first 7 days after birth)
- Osteoporosis screening and management
Gynecology Health Services
Evaluation and treatment for:
- Abnormal Pap test
- Abnormal uterine bleeding
- Pelvic pain
- Gynecologic cancers
Evaluation, counseling, and treatment for:
- Depression, mood, and anxiety disorders
- Alcohol and drug use and addiction
- Coping with illness
- Intimate partner violence/sexual and domestic abuse
- Military sexual trauma (MST)
- Parenting and caregiver concerns
- Posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Stress adjustment from deployment
- Management of chronic or complex conditions, including heart disease, diabetes, cancer, and fibromyalgia, as well as HIV/AIDS and hepatitis
- Surgery programs available at most Medical Centers
- Rehabilitation, homebound, and long-term care VA referrals are given to those in need of rehabilitation therapies, such as physical therapy, occupational therapy
VA referrals are given to those in need of rehabilitation therapies, such as physical therapy, occupational therapy, speech-language therapy, exercise therapy, recreational therapy, and vocational therapy.