San Francisco VA Health Care System
About the Program
The Gastroenterology Service offers a wide range of services for Veterans with medical problems related to the stomach, intestinal tract and liver. The expert staff provide first-rate care in gastrointestinal and liver diseases.
Gastroenterology Service offers specialized management of the following:
- Peptic ulcer disease
- Prevention of colorectal cancer
- Diseases of the esophagus including evaluation and treatment of heartburn as well as swallowing difficulties
- Viral infections of the liver, including Hepatitis C and Hepatitis B
- Management of patients following liver transplantation
- Management of patients with inflammatory bowel disease
- Diagnosis and treatment of patients with intestinal and liver complications of AIDS
- Chronic abdominal pain
- Chronic constipation
Clinical Research Trials
Research trials are being conducted in the following areas:
- Treatment of chronic Hepatitis C with both interferon and oral drugs which inhibit the replication of Hepatitis C.
- Treatment of chronic Hepatitis B with a drug which inhibits replication of Hepatitis B.
- Treatment of constipation with a drug which enhances the movement of the intestine.
- Detection of colon cancer in patients 50 years or older without symptoms of intestinal disease.
For further information regarding clinical trials, please call: (415) 750-2105.
2nd Floor, Room 2A-79
- 415-221-4810 Ext. 2-3344, 2-3348
Hours of Operation
Monday - Friday
8 a.m. - 4 p.m.