San Francisco VA Health Care System
Health Education Library for Patients
Our Health Education Library for Patients contains a collection of easy-to-read health and wellness books, respected health education newsletters, videos and other materials.
The Health Education Library is located at the San Francisco VA Medical Center, Building 200, Ground Floor, Room GA-105. It is open Monday - Friday 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. (closed 11 a.m. - 12 noon daily). The number is (415) 221-4810, ext. 2-3477.
The material and information provided by the Health Education Library for Patients is for informational purposes only and should not be considered a substitute for medical advice or instruction from a health care professional. Inclusion of information in the Health Education Library for patients does not imply endorsement by the Library nor by the San Francisco VA Health Care System.
The My HealtheVet web site provides Veterans and their families excellent, reliable patient education information as well as the latest VA News, and updates about Veterans' benefits and services.
After registering with My HealtheVet, you will be able to:
- Refill your VA prescriptions online.
- Keep personal intake and activity journals.
- Monitor your personal health data such as blood pressure and pain levels.
- Maintain your own self-entered personal health record.
- Keep track of your upcoming VA medical appointments.
- Send secure email messages to your VA health care team through Secure Messaging.
For more information about MyHealtheVet, you can also visit our MyHealtheVet Coordinatior, David McCrea, whose office is located in Building 2 room 170 (next to Release of Information, first floor of Bldg. 2), or you can call him at (415) 221-4810, ext. 2-3706.
Clinical staff provide ongoing health education during regularly scheduled outpatient clinic visits. Courses focus on many different topics including:
- Health promotion
- Upcoming tests and procedures
Staff can tell you about available upcoming education classes.
Clinical staff begin the patient education process at the time of admission, during the hospital stay, and at discharge. Our goal is to provide a hospital environment where patients:
- Continually receive updated health information.
- Are able to ask questions about their health.
- Can enjoy as comfortably as possible their stay in our facility.