Transition and Care Management (formerly OEF/OIF/OND) Frequently Asked Questions - San Francisco VA Health Care System
Attention A T users. To access the menus on this page please perform the following steps. 1. Please switch auto forms mode to off. 2. Hit enter to expand a main menu option (Health, Benefits, etc). 3. To enter and activate the submenu links, hit the down arrow. You will now be able to tab or arrow up or down through the submenu options to access/activate the submenu links.

San Francisco VA Health Care System


Transition and Care Management (formerly OEF/OIF/OND) Frequently Asked Questions

Who is eligible as a combat Veteran?

Veterans are eligible if they served on active duty in a theater of combat operations during a period of war after the Gulf War or in combat against a "hostile" force during a period of hostilities after November 11, 1998 and have been discharged under other than dishonorable conditions.

What are the benefits that VA offers?

Benefits cover all illnesses and injuries, except those clearly unrelated to military service, free of charge for a period of five years from the date of discharge. Co-payments may be charged for treatment of non-combat related conditions (common cold, injuries from accidents that occurred after discharge or disorders that existed before joining the military). If a Veteran did not receive a pre-separation dental exam from the military, then the Veteran is eligible to receive a dental exam from VA within 180 days of their discharge from active duty. For more information check our national site.

Who is the contact?

To inquire about your health benefits or schedule an appointment to register, please call our Member Services Business Office at (415) 750-2015, or you may contact our Transition and Care Management (TCM) Program Manager Bill Powlus, LCSW, at (415) 221-4810, ext. 2-2647.

What to bring to enroll for VA health care?

When enrolling you will need to bring your discharge paperwork (DD Form 214), prior year's income information, dependents (if any) dates of birth, and social security numbers and any form of private health insurance.

How do I enroll?

All Veterans are encouraged to enroll in the VA Health Care System. To begin the process, please complete an Application for Health Care Benefits.  All you need to do is complete the form, print a copy, SIGN IT, and then submit the form with a copy of your DD Form 214 to:

San Francisco VA Medical Center
Business Office - Member Services (136)
4150 Clement Street
San Francisco, CA 94121

You can also fax the form to:  (415) 750-2210

Who can I talk to about readjustment issues?

After returning from a theater of combat, illness, disease, injuries or stress can significantly interfere with your ability to relate to family, friends, work and affects with other areas of daily functioning. Your combat experience can cause lingering effects including hostility, anger, trouble sleeping and emotional numbing. The VA can help! If you'd like to talk to someone about any readjustment issues you may be having, please call:

  • Mental Health & Substance Abuse Treatment: 
    (415) 750-6674
  • Telephone Linked Care: 
    [VA Telephone Linked Care offers 24 hours a day, 7 days a week for access to a nurse who can advise you about medical care, appointment information, and VA health care eligibility.]