San Francisco VA Health Care System
VLER Health Information Exchange for Veterans
Do you see a non-VA health care provider? There’s a new health service that Veterans seen at SFVAMC and at our community clinics may “opt in” to, which connects their VA medical information with non-VA health care providers. It’s the VA Virtual Lifetime Electronic Record (VLER) for Health.
VLER Health is a program that shares certain parts of your Veteran health record between the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA), the Department of Defense (DoD), and selected private health care providers over a secure and confidential network known as the eHealth Exchange. This program is free and voluntary for Veterans.
A Veteran may choose to “opt in” or give permission for the VA to share his/her electronic VA health information with non-VA health care provider organizations who participate in the Nationwide Health Information Network (NwHIN, aka eHealth Exchange) to partner with VA for treatment purposes. The non-VA health care partner can similarly share their information with providers here at the VA. This network is a common and secure platform for health information exchange across diverse entities and within communities; and it’s available across America.
Why Veterans should opt in for VLER Health:
• Your health and benefits information will travel securely wherever you go for health care, nationwide.
• Electronically sharing relevant health and benefits data improves quality of care, patient safety, and reduces medical errors.
• Having a single portal for health information supports continuity of care and reduces or eliminates redundancy of procedures (such as lab or X-ray tests).
• It’s a cost effective and secure way to share relevant health and benefits data of Veterans and service members with VA, the DoD, and private sector providers.
Who can view my health information? Your non-VA health care provider and VA doctors will both be able to see certain parts of your health record and use it to create a better picture of your overall health.
How do I join? Signing up is fast and easy. You may sign up in person, through the mail, by fax, or online.
In Person: Simply fill out the VA Authorization form (VA Form 10-0485) and turn in at the MyHealtheVet office (in Medical Practice, Bldg. 200, 1st Floor) at the San Francisco VA Medical Center; or at our community clinic locations in Eureka, Clearlake, Ukiah, Santa Rosa, San Bruno, and Downtown San Francisco.
San Francisco VA Medical Center
Attn: ROI Office
4150 Clement Street (136C)
San Francisco, CA 94121
By Fax: Fax the VA Form 10-0485 to the SFVAMC ROI Office at (415) 379-5568.
Online: Simply visit https://www.ebenefits.va.gov and complete the following 4 steps:
1. Click on ACCESS MY DOCUMENTS at the top of the page.
2. Scroll down to the Health section & click MANAGE MY AUTHORIZATIONS AND PREFERENCES (VLER)
3. At the bottom of the page click on SHARE YOUR ELECTRONIC HEALTH INFORMATION WITH NON-VA HEALTH CARE PROVIDERS.
4. Highlighted on this page you will find the “VLER Authorization Form” (to share your medical information) and the “VLER Health Revocation Form” (to stop sharing your medical information).
5. Print out and complete the authorization form. Return it to the SFVAMC by fax, mail, or in person. Note: Please do NOT email completed forms back to the SFVAMC.
What if I decide not to join? Participation is entirely voluntary. Deciding not to participate will not affect your for a VLER Health benefits or your relationship with your doctor and/or the San Francisco VA Medical Center.
What if I join and later change my mind? If you change your mind, you can visit your San Francisco VA Medical Center website or call the toll-free VLER Health Information line at 1-877-771-VLER (8537) to request the VLER Health Revocation Form to stop sharing your health information.
You may also visit our Internet VLER Health web page at www.sanfrancisco.va.gov/vlerhealth.asp to download the forms and learn more about VLER Health. If you would like to see which non-VA health care facilities are participating in this program, please visit www.va.gov/vler/vlerhealth.asp. For general questions about VLER Health Information Exchange, call toll-free (877) 771-8573.