San Francisco VA Health Care System
My HealtheVet: Anytime Access to VA Health Care!
What online tool is designed for Veterans, active duty military, dependents and caregivers, that helps Veterans partner with their health care team, allows for ordering prescription refills online, enables secure email messaging between patients and providers, and lets Veterans view their lab test results 24/7?
The answer is, My HealtheVet. This valuable online tool provides you convenient ways to make informed health care decisions. But that’s not all. Once you’re registered, depending on your account type (all are free) you can view your medical appointments, prescriptions, and current medical information.
How to use My HealtheVet
To use My HealtheVet, all you need is a computer with Internet access. You can access My HealtheVet from home, or through a public access location, such as a library or Internet cafe. Computers may also be available to Veterans at your local VA medical facility. Contact the My HealtheVet coordinator at your local VA medical facility for questions and/or assistance.
Access and using the tools
There are three ways you can access My HealtheVet. Each level offers a different way to enter the site. Learn more about each level of access and using the tools:
With a Basic Account, you may use My HealtheVet to:
- Add information to a personal health journal about over-the-counter medications, military health history, medical events, tests, and allergies.
- Record and track personal information, such as contact information, emergency contacts, health care doctors and providers, and health insurance information.
- Record and track personal health measurements (blood pressure, blood sugar, cholesterol, heart rate, body temperature, weight, pain level, etc.) in Vitals & Readings.
- Print a wallet ID card with the personal information entered into the personal health record.
- Use VA Blue Button (Download My Data) to view, save download, and/or print your self-entered information; then share this with your caregiver, non-VA provider, or others you trust.
With an Advanced Account, VA patients may additionally use My HealtheVet to refill VA prescriptions online.
With a Premium Account—the highest level—VA patients may use My HealtheVet to access the highest level of My HealtheVet features. To get this type of account you need to go through an in-person Authentication and have your My HealtheVet profile information linked to VA/DoD records.
Upgrade to a Premium Account
How can I upgrade my account? Upgrade your account in person at your local VA Medical Center or Community-Based Outpatient Clinic (CBOC). If you are a patient at the San Francisco VA Medical Center, call our new MyHealtheVet coordinator David McCrea at (415) 221-4810, ext. 23706, or email him at David.McCrea@va.gov, or visit him in Bldg. 200, 1st floor, in the Medical Practice lobby area, Room 1A-200B. If you are seen at a VA outpatient clinic, ask to speak with your My HealtheVet representative there.
Access is limited to Veterans enrolled at a VA health care facility. For this level, you will need to have an upgraded My HealtheVet account. There are two ways you can upgrade your My HealtheVet account. It can be done through:
With an upgraded account, you may:
- View VA Chemistry/Hematology lab results
- Receive information on your VA appointments, including email reminders
- View VA Allergy and Adverse Reactions records
- Receive VA Wellness rReminders
- View additional parts of your VA health record, as they become available
- Use the VA Blue Button to view, save download and/or print your VA health and DoD military service information; then share this with your caregiver, non-VA provider or others you trust
- Use secure messaging to communicate online with your VA health care team. You may send messages to request or cancel VA appointments, ask about lab results, find out about a medication or health issue, or discuss other general health matters.
Safeguarding your personal information
Safeguarding your personal information is important. My HealtheVet is a secure website. The VA follows strict security policies and practices to make sure that your personal health information is safe and protected. However, anytime you use a computer, it is important that you take steps to protect your information. This is most important if you are making copies of your information or using a computer that does not belong to you. Check out these tips on what you can do to protect your personal information.
Benefits of using My HealtheVet
Using My HealtheVet can help you gain a better understanding of your health status. It allows you to explore different ways you can monitor and improve your health. When you use the tools on My HealtheVet, you become a more active partner with your health care team. Working hand in hand with your health care team and sharing your information may help them better understand your personal healthcare needs. The great benefit is that you can easily access your personal health information in your My HealtheVet account – anytime, anywhere you have Internet access. Your information is available to you at your convenience, 24/7.