San Francisco VA Health Care System
Post-Graduate Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner (PMHNP) Residency Program
Welcome to the San Francisco VA Medical Center (SFVAMC) Post-Graduate Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner (PMHNP) Residency homepage. A major goal of this program is to create better access to mental health care for Veterans and to prepare new Nurse Practitioners (NPs) for full and autonomous expert patient centered care of Veterans with complex mental health issues.
This residency is designed for new NPs with a commitment to serving the Veteran population. The program prepares new NPs to become confident and competent specialty care providers by providing didactic seminars, Grand Rounds, supervised and independent clinical practice, specialty rotations, leadership training, inter-professional simulations, and Tele-mental health training during the 12-month period. Upon completion of this program, graduates will receive a Residency Completion Certificate from the Residency Program.
You can find the application here.
I. PMHNP Residency Eligibility:
a. U.S. Citizenship
b. Graduation from Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE) or the Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN) accredited psychiatric nurse practitioner programs
c. Recent graduation within the past 12 months
d. Master’s degree or Doctorate degree with a specialty in Psychiatric/Mental Health Nursing
e. Proficiency in written and spoken English
f. Completion of one or more of the following; drug screen, background investigation, lab and physical exam, tuberculosis skin testing, Hep B titer.
II. Application Requirements:
a. Completed PMHNP Residency Application
b. A Letter of Interest (no more than two, double-spaced pages), including but not limited to:
- Your three most important professional goals
- Your interest in serving a variety of patient populations, including vulnerable, underserved, or elderly patients
- Your commitment to furthering the profession
- How your career goals align with the PMHNP role and furthering the profession
c. Curriculum Vitae/Résumé, including but not limited to:
- Education & Awards/Honors
- Work Experience
- Research & Publication
- Leadership Service
- Life Experience/Professional membership
d. Official nursing school transcripts
e. A copy of APRN License
f. Three (3) letters of recommendation
- one (1) letter must come from an academic instructor.
- one (1) letter must come from a preceptor.
- one (1) letters must come from a place of employment/co-worker.
- Applications are accepted until April 1, 2017.
- Application review and interview process will begin April 15, 2017.
- Acceptance decisions will be made by May 1, 2017.
- The residency will begin on July 1, 2017.
The completed PMHNP Residency Application with all supplemental materials should be submitted to Joanne.Martucci@va.gov, or hard copies can be sent to 4150 Clement St. (118), San Francisco, CA, 94121.
Questions? Contact: Paul Sinuk PMHNP-BC – Paul.Sinuk@va.gov
Salary and Benefits
The resident in our program is considered a federal full-time employee with a salary and benefit package. Salary is paid by the VA Office of Academic Affiliations (OAA) and rates may increase depending on the current year allocation rate. In addition, residents accrue annual/sick leave and other benefits listed below:
• Salary (Stipend): Competitive
• Health benefits: Information about Federal Employment Benefits can be accessed from the following link: http://www.opm.gov/insure/new_employ/index.asp?ProgramEd=1
• These benefits include:
-Government Health Care Medical Plan.
-Option for dental and life insurance.
-Resident is not vested and does not have a 401K or matching fund benefit during their residency year.
• 10 paid holidays.
• Annual/sick leave that accrues at a rate of 4/4 hours per pay period.
** Please note detailed information will be available onsite during orientation.
Rotational opportunities include: Inpatient Psychiatry; Outpatient Psychiatry; Addiction Psychiatry; Psychiatric Emergency Service; Women’s Health; PTSD Clinic; Tele-Mental Health and Same Day/Access Clinic.