San Francisco VA Health Care System
Virtual Same-Day Appointments now Available
The San Francisco VA Health Care System (SFVAHCS) is committed to providing Veterans with high-quality care that meets their health care needs. During times like these, the SFVAHCS is especially focused on exploring new, innovative ways to deliver the right care to Veterans, regardless if they live in San Francisco or in Eureka.
With the launch of a new program called Express Care, Veterans with pressing, non-emergency, health needs requiring same-day care can now be seen by a VA provider quickly and without leaving home. During an Express Care virtual urgent care visit, enrolled Veterans can speak with a VA provider by phone — or through a follow-up video appointment if deemed necessary by the provider.
Express Care visits are available for the following:
- Gastrointestinal symptoms (i.e. diarrhea, constipation, nausea, vomiting, upset stomach, acid reflux)
- Musculoskeletal pain
- Red or weeping eye without vision loss
- Skin lesion or rash
- Upper respiratory symptoms (i.e. earache, runny nose, sinus congestions, sore throat, hoarse voice)
- Urinary symptoms (i.e. pain with urination, frequent urination, difficulty initiating urination).
Express Care is not intended to treat medical emergencies. Enrolled Veterans can request a virtual Express Care visit between the hours of 1 p.m. and 5 p.m. PST, Monday through Friday, excluding federal holidays. A DS Logon, My HealtheVet Premium, or ID.me account is required.
How can I request an Express Care visit?
- Visit https://www.va.gov/health-care/schedule-view-va-appointments/appointments/new-express-care-request.
- Once logged in, click the Express Care button.
- When the ‘Get Emergency Help’ pop-up screen appears, confirm you are not requesting care for one of the emergency reasons listed and click Continue.
- Complete the form and click Submit.
- You’re done. It’s that simple. A VA provider will contact you soon to discuss your health care needs.